‘God Is Going to Have to Forgive Me’: Young Evangelicals Speak Out


The role of evangelical Christianity in American politics has been a hot topic this year, intersecting with topical issues such as immigration, the Supreme Court and social justice. Often, the loudest evangelical voices are white, masculine and not young.

Just days before the mid-term elections, two years after President Trump won the White House with a record number of white evangelical support, we asked evangelical youth to tell the Times the relationship between their faith and their faith. policy. .

Nearly 1500 readers responded, from all but Alaska and Vermont states. Hundreds of people have written extensive essays about their families and communities. They go to giant mega-churches, as well as to small Baptist congregations in the South, not on the front line, or even denominational. Some said they had completely abandoned evangelism.

We read each presentation and spent many hours interviewing the respondents. That's what we learned:

Young evangelicals wonder about the typical links between evangelization and republican politics. Many said it caused schisms in their families. And many described a real struggle with an administration that considers itself hostile to immigrants, to Muslims, L.G.B.T.Q. People and the poor. They believe that this reflects a loss of humanity, which is in contradiction with their spiritual call.

Many young evangelicals believe that Mr. Trump has contributed to the achievement of his most important goals, such as limiting the right to abortion and promoting freedom of religion. But they are sensitive to other problems. Many feel politically independent or politically homeless. There is a struggle for what the term "evangelical" even means, and they live it.

And the struggle does not only concern political leaders, but also within their religious communities.

The six young evangelicals who come here, all deeply involved in their churches, offer the textured sound of the growing evangelical voice in the United States, often drowned by the ancient whites. The interviews and quotes from the presentations have been slightly edited and condensed for clarity.

We open the comments section and hope you add your own voice.



Alexandria Beightol
22-year-old Democrat, Marco Island, Florida.

I was fired from Smith College in 2015 when I told my parents I was reviewing the legitimacy of anti-gay theology. I thought, "God will have to forgive me, I will not die in this cultural war."

I was a republican like them. Previously, I supported what my church told me about candidates and problems. I have never interviewed or read any external material on these topics. I secretly started borrowing books from the library.

I sent a message of communion in 2016: "Our God chose to die at the death of all these marginalized people, dies like Matthew Shepard, while he was a child in the hands of the state, he was a refugee ". My church scolded me for "abusing the pulpit". Other members have used it to openly tempt Trump and say hateful remarks about Muslims and L.G.B.T. the citizens.

The world I dreamed about was not the world my church dreamed about. Liberal evangelicals around the world want to see conservative evangelicals in the hope that this will not happen.

I fear that we have done tremendous harm to the marginalized in the name of God. You realize that this is not good news if you baptize only certain inequalities or prejudices.

I do not feel like giving up conservative evangelism. I like as one, I speak as one. It's not like I can get out of this relationship. I feel incredibly guilty of attending a church in which I can not invite people. But I like the community that raised me. Many evangelical parents are judged by the successful transmission of values ​​to their children. I did not want to embarrass them.

I am very happy to vote for Andrew Gillum. It's not that you have conservative evangelicals who suddenly become liberals. It's more of an understanding than you could practice something that is not even Christian.


Rebecca Hopper
26 years old, independent, Cincinnati

My parents are part of the white evangelical demographics who voted for Trump and always support him with pride. I never told you that I voted for the Democrats. Every time you read this, you will discover a lot.

Last year, I was in the car with my mother and her husband. Trump had said something. I said, "Well, he's racist and homophobic." They rushed to reject that. That's the most I talked about politics with my mother. It was five minutes.

I am a fervent believer in Jesus, but I voted for Hillary Clinton because I thought she would be a good leader for this country. Politics is more than a single issue, we need to examine every aspect of each candidate and discern who could best represent us. Donald Trump represents only himself.

There are many white Republicans who use Christianity as a weapon to get elected, but I am here to tell you that we do not fall in love with them. The Jesus that these men represent is not the Jesus who healed the sick and eliminated social barriers. We are not part of the religion of these men and I hope people will see it.

I don’t consider myself Republican or Democrat. I am pro-life. It’s not just abortion, it’s people in prisons being treated terribly. I went to the Women’s March knowing I wouldn’t agree with a lot of what they are saying. But there’s inequality in the workplace, there’s sexual abuse.





This is the first time I will vote on the ballot. If problem 1 is solved, it's a big win: reducing drug use from crime to crime. I examined it.

I do not know if I feel betrayed. My eyes opened. As if you had a best friend and you discovered something crazy about them. I am still working for the shock of that. There are many people who go to heaven who voted for Trump.

CreditAudra Melton for The New York Times


Eduardo Sandoval Ruiz
23, Republican, Louisville, Ky.

My family moved here from Mexico in 1999. My parents are pastors and we've been Pentecostal-evangelical for a long time.

Being socially conservative, however, immigrants have been, at best, interesting and, at worst, conflictual. Most of my parents' church members are recent immigrants. We share most of what Donald Trump says about God and faith, but we do not subscribe to what he says about immigrants and any misconduct that he and others can try to justify. in their personal lives.

As an evangelical Christian, I have to compromise. I choose to give priority to my basic Christian beliefs about Georgia's immigration policies. push now It's a point of tension.

I do not talk politics with anyone, not even with my family. We are talking about Christian values.

I know that Trump brought the prayer. To know that our leaders believe that these same basic beliefs are like us is something that brings calm. We know they have our best interest in mind.

I can see their point of view that they do not want illegal immigration, fearing that foreigners will take over, there is a sense of control at the border. But I grew up in a Latino family. We are here to improve the lives of our families.

The left will probably win the next elections, but I still hope that God is doing great things in this country, whether it is directly related to politics or not.


Hannah Flaming
27, Republican, Paxton, Nebraska.

I have always been Republican and yes! I am very happy with my vote for Trump.

His choice was huge, because half of my family did not understand why the other half voted for him, even stating that he had changed his mind about us. It's hard enough to be a Christian, but as a Republican it's even harder.

Nobody cared about us until Trump. We have a farm south of Paxton. It is a city of about 600 inhabitants. Popcorn is one of our most specialized cultures. Wheat, soy. We were tired of seeing the corn fall by 40 cents a day. Finally someone understands it. Our community is optimistic.

In Kavanaugh's audience, I thought this girl was lying. Then I spoke with my sisters, who helped me see that I was looking through the lens of a Republican, not a Christian. She deserved as much grace as Kavanaugh.

As a Christian, I now drive through the city and see the signs that say, "Jesus illuminates the way". But first, when you say that you are a Christian, it means that you are a critical and critical person. I feel a little safer now, going from one place to another and saying, "I am a Christian."

 Ms. Flaming’s family grows popcorn on their farm in Paxton, Neb.CreditNick Cote for The New York Times

A grain dryer displays the family motto on Ms. Flaming’s farm.CreditNick Cote for The New York Times

What are the misconceptions about young evangelicals? That we are hypocritical, heretics, with pitch forks and ropes to lynch anyone opposed to our beliefs. No. We are not this bigoted, noose-tying faith.

I’m worried we will be silenced by others who shout very loudly.

Cayce Clifford for The New York Times

Curtis Yee
22 years old, democrat, sacrament

Since I live in California and attend a Chinese church, my experience is different from what I see in the news.

When I see Christian leaders like Jerry Falwell Jr. or Franklin Graham talking about the quality of Trump, I'm afraid that the nuances I see in my small cultural enclave do not exist elsewhere in the country. Who are these people? Do they really exercise so much authority?

I am the only child of a Sino-American family. Stereotypically, Chinese Americans are not so frank about social or political issues, nor about uncomfortable issues in general. The emphasis is on respect for the elderly, authority. Combine that with Christianity and people are not necessarily inclined to participate in political activism.

I do not think my theological differences with my parents differ significantly, but my family is faster than blaming the "liberals", but I can see they are not perverse, but only those who try to do the things differently. . We differ mainly on how to approach social problems in a biblical way: DACA, # MeToo, immigration.

It has been frustrating that members of my church community do not get involved, especially in areas where the Bible seems to speak directly, such as racism and sexism.

For the governor of California, my taste is to love Gavin Newsom. I'm a democrat by default, simply because of the way things have been going on with the Republican Party in recent years, but it's an uncomfortable partnership. As a Christian, I first feel connected to the Bible.

Audra Melton for The New York Times

Jayna Duckenfield
24, no political affiliation, Atlanta

As a Christian, it is absolutely my duty to vote. I am registered to vote in Atlanta and plan to vote for Stacey Abrams. This is the first time I will vote for the Democrats. She is black and a woman. I am both too. It is very important for me.

When I have white friends or colleagues and I guess I'm completely aligned with the Democratic Party, I try to be as discreet as possible. Wait, should I be totally democratic? But as a Christian, there will be things I do not quite agree with.

As I got older, I realized that I could not keep quiet. The murder of Botham Jean in Dallas, Texas, and the confirmation of Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh, cast doubt on the legitimacy of my voice and security in American society. He was outraged, a black man was shot in his own home.

 A sparrow tattoo on Ms. Duckenfield’s wrist.CreditAudra Melton for The New York Times

Stickers from past elections inside Ms. Duckenfield’s car.CreditAudra Melton for The New York Times
Both stories communicate directly and indirectly about blacks and women. Our value is in the balance. As a Christian, I understand and believe that I have inherent value, but politically, it's always a battle.

I grew up in a Christian home, without denomination, and I am still today and I regularly attend church. My parents tend to rely more on the conservative side of things, whereas my tendency is more liberal.

Honestly, climate change is one of the biggest problems my parents and I do not agree with. I think they still believe that everything is invented.
‘God Is Going to Have to Forgive Me’: Young Evangelicals Speak Out ‘God Is Going to Have to Forgive Me’: Young Evangelicals Speak Out Reviewed by Musa Ali on 03:18 Rating: 5
Powered by Blogger.